Welcome to Plymouth Citizens Advice Bureau, a confidential information and advice service for people who live, work or study in Plymouth.
Our service can help in the following ways:-
- Explain complicated documents that use difficult language
- Give impartial advice on your rights and responsibilities
- Monitor trends in policies and practices so that we can speak up for our clients and campaign for change
- Negotiate with your local authority, for instance, if you think your housing benefit or council tax benefit could be wrong
- Help you with your budgeting and with managing your debts
- Help you with claiming the benefits to which you are entitled
- Speak and write on your behalf
The sort of things we can help with include:
Benefits If you are uncertain about which benefit you are entitled to now or in the future, or if you wish to appeal against a decision by the department of Work and Pensions.
Consumer Your rights when you buy or sell goods. Action you can take to get money back, goods replaced, or repaired.
Employment Employer and employee rights and responsibilities, including health and safety aspects, unfair dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, holidays, wages etc
Housing Your rights and status as a tenant. What you can do if you are homeless or in unsuitable accommodation.
Law Explain your legal rights, court procedures, legal documents etc.
Debt and Money Debt management, negotiating with creditors, bankruptcy, emergency action for priority debts (council tax, utilities, rent mortgage); which could lead to imprisonment, loss of your home or disconnection.
Relationships Your rights and responsibilities in an unmarried or married relationship, including children.
Tax and tax issues Do you pay tax on savings? Compensation, redundancy, pay etc.
f you have a debt with South West Water and need help the FreshStart team are here to help you find a solution.